Friday, April 4, 2014

Review: Through the Window

Through the WindowThrough the Window by Hollis Shiloh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Known for sweetly romantic stories, this latest offering is different from any of Shiloh's previous books. Through the Window is a dark and emotional story that contains complex characters that have been deeply damaged by life.

I absolutely loved this story. I loved the complexity and the darkness in Alphonse’s character as well as the insecurities Luke struggled with regarding his boxing career. It was pure magic watching their love for each other grow from a dark and needy place into warmth. It could have been a disaster. They could have stumbled and never gotten back up again. It is honest and raw and real. Because of the intensity, I had to set it aside a couple of times because of how deeply the emotions impacted me. I just needed to not think about it for awhile and come back to it later..... but I was ALWAYS drawn back to the story. I couldn’t put it down completely until I had finished it. I had to alter my expectations, that were based on earlier writings, and judge this book on it’s own merits.

The story is enhanced with deliciously steamy sexual encounters and are very intense and detailed in a way that Shiloh has not written in a story before. Some people may be turned off by it, others will love it.... I know I did!

I highly recommend that you read Jude's Magic prior to starting this book as Through the Window contains many of the same characters. Jude's Magic provides lots of insight and backstory that will enhance your reading experience and understanding of the main character, Alphonse.

This is one book you don't want to miss!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment